We are taking a look at the fifth and final reason not to believe in God, from an atheist’s blog post entitled,
In my previous post I dealt with his argument for “We Don’t Need God“.
You can click each link below and read his other reasons why we should not believe God exists.
- There is No Evidence for God
- Belief in God is Illogical
- Suffering Negates His Existence
- We Don’t Need God
- Life is Better Without God
5. Life Is Better Without God
Of course this is a completely subjective and unsupportable reason. It is also irrelevant to whether God exists or not.
However, I would like to address his comments and put some things in context.
- Religion is about control and limitations, laws and restrictions that govern behavior.
- This is true of any society, not just religions
- I agree, people have used religion and atheism to fuel their power and greed
- Religion is humanity’s way of trying to earn passage into heaven
- Following Christ is relationship based, not religion based. Christ already gave believers the free gift to heaven so they don’t have to earn anything
- Genital mutilation of infants in barbaric rites of passage practiced by Judaism.
- Circumcision is neither barbaric nor a right of passage, nor has it anything to do with Christianity.
- reduced risk of some STD’S
- protection against penile cancer and reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sexual partners
- Prevention of balanitis
- prevention of phimosis
- Increased hygene
The AAP task force analyzing over a thousand studies during seven years studying the latest research
- The health benefits of male circumcision include a drop in the risk of urinary tract infection in the first year of life by up to 90 percent
- It drops the risk of heterosexual HIV acquisition by about 60 percent
[American Academy of Pediatrics, August 2012, Dr. Susan Blank, chair of the AAP Circumcision task force]
What our blogger calls barbaric, doctors call beneficial². In Jewish tradition, circumcision was to a sign of being an Israelite in covenant with God. Four thousand years ago, God commanded circumcision to be performed on the eighth day after birth.
- Interestingly, modern science discovered that the blood clotting properties [prothrombin and vitamin K] of a newborn are at or greater than adult levels at age 8 days.¹ Professor Henrik Dam received a Nobel Prize for his 1934 discovery of vitamin K.
Physiologically, until the eighth day, the liver slowly develops, until on the eighth day itself, it is mature enough to fulfill its role to create the clots necessary to stop bleeding.[Dr. Ayala Abrahamov, Senior Professor of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Hebrew University of Jerusalem]
…only on the eighth day of life do blood clotting substances reach their all-time high – well beyond the amount that will accompany a normal human being for the rest of his life. [Dr. Armand James Quick, Head of the Department of Biochemistry at Marquette University Wisconsin, specializing in blood research]
In 2007, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) formed a multidisciplinary task force… Evaluation of current evidence indicates that the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks… Specific benefits identified included prevention of urinary tract infections, penile cancer, and transmission of some sexually transmitted infections, including HIV. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has endorsed this statement. [Pediatrics AAP Journals]
Conflating religions and attributing their atrocities to Christianity as he does in his second paragraph is fallacious and an error in reasoning, possible due to illiteracy in the subject. Jesus states circumcisions irrelevance in regard to religious meaning two thousand years ago.
Romans 2:28-29; For you are not a true Jew just because you were born of Jewish parents or because you have gone through the ceremony of circumcision. No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather, it is a change of heart produced by God’s Spirit.
Galatians 5:6; For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, there is no benefit in being circumcised or being uncircumcised. What is important is faith expressing itself in love.
- These statements are simply ludicrous. Suicide bombings, forced marriages, torture, etc… have nothing to do with Christianity, and further demonstrates his lack of knowledge.
A life without religion and without God thus offers freedom from all of these miseries. It offers a person the opportunity to do what they like, in line with their own moral code, within the parameters of the society… and is not forced down a path by a pre-existing code of conduct dating from a time of ignorance and superstition.
Our blogger is being incoherent and contradictory. He says he if free from constraints and doesn’t have to follow anyone else’s code, that is until he does. At least he is willing to conform himself according to ideas he believes in.
Historically have godless societies been freer and better off?
- Mao Zedong – Maoist Catastrophe: 47 million killed (1946-76)
- Hitler: 13 million dead (1939-45) [SEE MY POST ON HITLER]
- Stalin Terror: 13 million killed (1922-52)
- Congolese Holocaust: 10 million deaths (1885-1908)
- reference worldatlas.com
When you remove God from society, men will try and take his place as a god. This is what history has taught us time and time again.
Blogger’s Closing Remarks
Life is better without God and religion…
The journey into escaping the God idea, and rejecting religion, can be a long one. … However, it starts with a seed of doubt. With the sense that a fairy story is at work here – not the solid rock of reality.
Perhaps these five arguments will plant that small seed…
I don’t think my atheist friend has made either a compelling, or a persuasive argument against God’s existence. He talks about “the solid rock of reality” but he offers no substance or support for his arguments. There is a fairy story at work here but it is not belief in the God of the bible.
Our blogger only offered one expert for support and he was a comedian. He demands rigorous scientific proof to change his mind but expects others to change theirs on his sayso alone.
He stands against over 50% of scientists and over 5 billion people world wide who believe that there is something greater than us that created everything we see and don’t see.
Unseen, undetectable, unobservable dimensions, and universes popping into existence out of nothing, with no observable evidence are logical, and solid rock reality to him. But evidence of an intelligent agent in cosmology, biology, physics and archaeology is a fairy story?
It might be that my friend’s reasons for not believing in God are more of a personal nature than on a logical, or evidential one. He may revile simply because he really isn’t informed, or someone close to him died, or any number of other bad experiences.
My friend is not an expert on Christianity, cosmology, or biology. The only seeds of doubt I can see him developing by this blog is for his own position.
God loves him, and he is receiving the benefit of his mercy whether he believes God exists or not.
For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. – Jesus
God’s mercy lasts right up until your last breath. When you put your trust in Jesus, he gives you his Spirit and a new heart to follow him.
2 Peter 3:8-10
But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to perish, but wants everyone to repent. But the day of the Lord will come as unexpectedly as a thief.
I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die…? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!
- Development of the Human Coagulation System in the Full-Term Infant; By Andrew M, Paes B, Milner R, Johnston M, Mitchell L, Tollefsen DM, Powers P., NCBI, PUBMED, July 1987.
- The benefits of male circumcision outweigh the risks; Scientific American