At no time in history has there ever been anyone like Jesus Christ. Respected by most of the world’s religions. For almost two thousand years Jesus has been the demarcation line of history for much of the world.
For an individual who was only publicly active a very short time, he has had and continues to have a tremendous impact on the world.
According to historians, Jesus ministry lasted approximately 3.5 years.
- John the Baptist announced Jesus ministry in the 15 year of Tiberius Caesar‘s reign [AD 26]
- Jesus was crucified during Passover in the spring of 30 AD.
Historical Demarcation Line
- BC [Before Christ]
- AD [Anno Domini, Latin for “year of the Lord”]
God, Prophet, Created?
- Only Christianity claims Jesus Christ is God and Savior, a claim also made by Jesus himself.
- Mormon’s; Jesus is the created spirit brother of Satan. A creature, not divine.
- Jehovah’s Witnesses; Jesus was created a god, then became a man, then became Michael the archangel and is now a god again
- Muslims; Jesus was a prophet but below Muhammad and he did not die for our sins
- Buddhists: Jesus was a good person
- Jewish tradition; Jesus was just a Jewish teacher
I Did Not Know That
- Jesus in Hebrew means “God saves”
- Christ means anointed one, it is not Jesus last name
- in 2015 there are an estimated 2.3 billion followers of Jesus Christ
- Jesus Christ has the largest following of any religion on earth
- Jesus name is mentioned 900 times in the New Testament
- No one knows the date of Jesus birthday
- Jesus had half brothers and sisters though his sisters are not named. His brothers however are; James, Jude, Simon and Joses
- Catholics claim Mary remained a virgin even after Jesus birth, and had not other children
- Jesus was crucified yards from where Abraham almost sacrificed Isaac when he said to his son, God will supply his own sacrifice
- Jesus was John the Baptist’s cousin
- The perfume Mary poured on Jesus before his crucifixion would cost approximately 20,000 in today’s dollars
- Jesus spoke 3 languages: Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek
- Just before his death, Jesus sweat was mixed with blood. Recorded by doctor Luke, it is called hematohidrosis
- Judas was paid 30 pieces of silver to betray Jesus, approximately 4,200 in today’s dollars
- The bible holds the Guinness Book of World Records for most copies of a book ever sold
- It also holds the record for most persecuted book with the most attempts to wipe it off the face of the earth.
After only three and a half years of influence over an area defined by how far he could walk, Jesus is the most influential person in the history of the world. Other religions demean him and demote him, while atheists hate him and try to convince themselves and others he doesn’t exist.
Jesus Views and Attitudes
- Sex should be between one man and one woman in marriage [Matthew 19:4-5]
- Prohibits divorce, except for infidelity [Matthew 5:31-32]
- Looking at a woman lustfully is adultery [Matthew 5:28]
- Love your enemy and do good to those who hate you [Luke 6:27-28]
- Blessed are you when people insulted and persecute you [Matthew 5:11-12]
- Don’t resist an evil person, turn the other cheek [Matthew 5:38-39]
- Unbelievers are to be left alone, God doesn’t need mere men to defend him;
If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. – Matthew 10:14-15
- Same Sex Relations; Some will argue that Jesus is silent on the subject, but he is also silent on child molestation, Female Genital Mutilation, bestiality [Human sex with animals] and marrying your goat. Jesus is clear in Matthew 19:4-5 when he quotes the Old Testament, that sex is to be between a man and a woman. Also, Jesus is very clear on many occasions that he does not speak for himself but only says what the father tells him to, John 12:49, 14:10, 5:19, 8:28;
So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me.
Jesus would not contradict established scripture for two reasons;
- Because he is in total agreement with the Father.
- Because Jesus is the living word himself. He would be contradicting himself.
In the beginning was the word, the word was with God and the word was God… The word became flesh and made his dwelling with us.
The Scripture makes it clear that homosexual relations are prohibited, that is why Jesus only needs to restates that sexual relations are for a man and a woman in the confines of marriage.
What Did Jesus Say About Himself
- I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me“ – John 14:6
- Pre-existent with God;
And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began. – John 17:5
- Existed before Abraham;
Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am! – John 8:58
- Son of God (Matt 26:63-63)
- Giver of eternal life (Jn 10:28)
- The great “I Am” (Jn 8:58)
- The light of the World (Jn 8:12)
- The future Judge (Jn 5:22-23)
- The door to salvation (Jn 10:9)
- The Savior (Jn 3:14-16)
- Messiah (Jn 4:26)
- Only one who has seen God the Father (Jn 6:46)
- If you have seen me, you have seen the Father (Jn 14:9)
- Came from heaven (Jn 3:13)
- Predicts his death and resurrection after the third day [Matt 16:21]
- Has the power to take up his own life again after he dies [Jn 10:18, Matt 12:39]
- Has all authority in heaven and on earth;
All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me – Matthew 28:18
- The Jewish religious leaders believed he claimed to be God;
We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God. – John 10:33
- Convinced Thomas he is God;
Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God! – John 20:28
- Believed and allowed his disciples, and others should worship him; [John 9:38]
When they [all his disciples] saw him, they worshiped him – Matthew 28:17
- Has the power to restore the dead and give eternal life;
I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. – John 11:25-26
- Transcends time;
I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am who I am. – John 13:19
- Had vision beyond his eyes;
Jesus answered, I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you. – John 1:48
- Knows the thoughts of others;
Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, “Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? – Matthew 9:4
- Knows the motives and intent of others;
But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, “You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? – Matthew 22:18
- He died and is alive for ever more;
Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. – Revelation 1:17-18
- Has authority over his angels;
I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.– Revelation 22:16
This of course is not exhaustive for the claims and views of Jesus Christ, but there is enough here to show that Jesus is clearly more than just a prophet.
No prophet has ever accepted worship or allowed him or herself to be addressed as God but Jesus did. Jesus accepted honor that is clearly stated in scripture to be reserved for God alone. The third and fourth commandments say
You shall have no other gods before me… You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God
In Matthew 4:10 when Satan is tempting Jesus to worship him, Jesus responds,
Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only
Yet, Jesus accepted worship. And if that isn’t clear enough, God himself speaking, not only commands all his angels to worship Jesus, but also refers to his Son as God.
And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God’s angels worship him… But about the Son he [God] says,“Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; – Hebrews 1:6,8
I invite you to read further on the mystery of the Trinity doctrine. It will bring some clarity to why Christians hold to the doctrine that God is three in one. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. One God, revealed in three persons.